To become the nominated Candidate for the Federal Conservative Party in the riding of Calgary- Centre.
Award-winning entrepreneur, community leader, successful City of Calgary Alderman, Provincial Member of the Legislative Assembly ( MLA) and licensed Financial Advisor with extensive experience in a very broad range of industries. Action-oriented and highly experienced in how to get things done in Government, Business and the Community. Adept at communications, social media, IT and networking skills. Demonstrated abilities in listening carefully to what people truly want, in problem-solving, building organizational capacity and in anticipating client needs. Long time Conservative member and outspoken advocate for Conservative Party goals and aspirations.
Experienced Innovator, Initiator, Political activist focused on economic development, job creation and community revitalization. Successful Elected Official experience both Municipally and Provincially. Award-winning Entrepreneur, Community leader and overall Generalist with Mensa-level IQ. Has extensive background in rural Alberta, as well as both Edmonton and Calgary. Has worked in a very broad range of industries relating to numerous Albertans; from Farming to Oil and Gas; Venture Capital and Finance to Government; in businesses large and small – retail, wholesale, manufacturing, sales, construction - as well as Arts, culture and Film. Community organizational work was pioneering and transformational. Political achievements include leading-edge award-winning environmental accomplishment, and organizational efficiency and effectiveness success. Rare ability to build trust and open communications with people from all walks of life and to mediate intractable issues.
HIGHLIGHT OF EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- A decade of public service experience, serving as Alderman for two terms on Calgary City Council, then a Member of the Legislative Assembly for the Province of Alberta. Additional experience on multiple Community and Not-for-Profit Boards and Committees as Founder, Director and/or Chair.
- A broad range of successful career experiences in very diverse fields - award-winning Entrepreneurial, Sales, Licensed Financial, and Political accomplishment
- Experienced in working with micro to multi-billion dollar budget processes
- Insightful and unusual perspectives in problem solving, innovation and troubleshooting
- Strong written, oral, media, social media and public communication skills
- Extensive representation on behalf of entrepreneurs, citizens, small businesses and charitable organizations, working on a broad range of issues including economic development, community and business revitalization, affordable housing, poverty reduction and seniors concerns.
- Teacher and trainer of difficult, technical skills (former Instructor, Canadian Securities Course, Sales Management and Small Business Management)
- Extensive resource list of contacts within the Calgary, Provincial and Federal Government political community
- Successful strategies and experience in working with various communities, stakeholders and the public
- Initiator, Founding Chairman of several very successful large annual Community festivals in Calgary, volunteer with several others.
- Licensed Financial credentials and direct involvement and experience in assessing public companies, business models, and raising venture capital. Good background with Energy, Environmental, Electrical, Agriculture and Tech industries in Alberta
AREAS OF EXCELLENCE
Public Service Experience
- Community Advisor – Aldermanic Offices City of Calgary 2011 –2012
- Advise a new Alderman on Calgary City Council. Duties include interacting with community constituents, and civic administration members regarding strategic initiatives.
- Utilize previous experience to successfully create and initiate new projects, improve governance, analyze city budgets, report on civic subsidiary corporate issues, and help develop public communication.
- Handle citizen complaints and issues, advise callers on City processes, write speeches, investigate/research queries and opportunities, organize community events, develop support for political initiatives.
- Mayoralty Candidate – City of Calgary 2010
- Organized and campaigned City wide in a Mayoralty campaign, against a plethora of experienced, heavily financed and high profile opponents. Placed near the top of 17 candidates, while spending only $40,000. ( vs. $1 million by another losing candidate, and nearly half million by the winning candidate).
- Ranked as the #1 best choice for Mayor of Calgary based on policies, experience, track record and ability by the prestigious international Foundation for Democratic Advancement (FDA) in a 94 page audit of all candidates.
- Investment Advisor – Blackmont Capital 2006 –2010
- Full service financial advisor with one of Canada’s largest independent I.D.A. investment firms.
- All aspects of the Capital Markets including Global investments. Offering Bonds, Equities, Venture capital, Private equity, Options and derivatives, RRSP’s etc.
- Specialized practice includes commercializing small-cap opportunities and sourcing venture capital for new companies, in particular new technologies.
- Member of Legislative Assembly of Alberta – Calgary Currie 2001 –2004
- Elected in 2001 with 64% of the popular vote.
- Numerous and varied responsibilities, representing a large inner-city Provincial riding of approx. 40,000 constituents.
- Nominated for the Provincial Emerald Award for achievements on environmental issues.
- Introduced numerous innovative ideas and offered potential solutions to vexing government issues.
- Attracted positive attention from the national media on several occasions.
- Successfully Chaired resolution on a challenging file (Alberta Special Places 2000) which became one of Alberta’s more notable environmental success stories.
- Alderman, City of Calgary - Ward 8 1995-2001
Introduced numerous ideas and innovations. One initiative (building energy audits) has now saved taxpayers in excess of $100 million.
Introduced Environmental Management policies (ISO14000) that were instrumental in winning the City of Calgary a World Environmental Achievement Award.
Successfully introduced Seniors Tax Mitigation and Small Business Poverty Tax Mitigation programs.
Was one of Council's most outspoken and highly effective members in the media and elsewhere
- Previous Experience
Registered Representative, James Capel/HSBC Securities
Registered Representative, CIBC Wood Gundy – President’s Council Award winner
Owner/President, Casablanca Video – 11 time winner, Readers Choice Award for Calgary’s best Video Rental store.
West Coast Sales and Operations Manager, Video West – quadrupled company revenues in 4 months.
Owner/Manager, A-Apollo Painting LTD. Started at age 18, 8 employees by age 21
Founding Chairman, south Calgary Business Revitalization Zone (renamed Marda Loop)
Founder/Chairman, Steve Kesler Defense Fund/Marda Loop Violent Crime Fund
Chairman, Founding Director Global Job and Food Bank (job-creation work in 13 countries)
Liberty Foundation Level Member, Progressive Group for Independent Business
Member, Calgary Council for Advanced Technology
Member, The Centre for Innovation Studies
Business Administration and Commerce 3 years of (1980- 1983)
University of Alberta- GPA: 7.95 First Class Standing
Canadian Securities Course (Honors) – Canadian Securities Institute
CIM Part 2 (Professional Financial Planning) – Canadian Securities Institute
CIM Part 1 (Professional Financial Planning) – Canadian Securities Institute
Options and Derivatives (Honors) – Canadian Securities Institute
Conduct and Practices (Honors) – Canadian Securities Institute
Harvard Business Case Studies Continuing Ed. Program -University ofCalgary
Life, Accident and Sickness Insurance (Honors) Alberta Insurance Council
Alberta Real Estate Agents Course ( Honors) – Alberta Real Estate Association Advanced Speaking Excellence “Train the Trainer” –Custom Learning SystemsGroup Ltd.
Film and Movie Making - SAIT
Foothills Toastmasters – ATM designation
Law courses (summer school) University of Alberta
*Served as an Instructor of the Canadian Securities Course in 1995
Also instructed a course in Sales Management/Small Business Management for Mount Royal College (Continuing Education) 1998, also BBQ classes privately.